The Mother House
Here is St Hilda’s Priory, Sneaton Castle, Whitby. St Hilda is the patron saint of Whitby.
This is our Mother House. It was here that our community began in 1915 and Sisters return here regularly – it is our home.
From the front door we can look across to the east cliff where St Hilda founded a monastery in 657.
Prayer and worship together are at the centre of our life.
It is here that:
- the community began in 1915
- each Sister begins her life in community
- the Prioress (Head of the Order) lives
- the Order’s administrative work is centred
- Sisters are cared for in old age and infirmity
- guests are welcomed
- various ministries are undertaken
- the OHP Library is maintained for use by Sisters and guests
Sister Carole (pictured below) is the current Prioress. She was elected to office in 2015, and her installation took place on the Feast of St Hilda in our Centenary Year.
Photograph taken by Mr Frank Harrison
We share the site with Sneaton Castle Centre which has excellent facilities.
Help raise money for OHP when you shop online by signing up for EasyFundraising.
Harvest Thanksgiving at the Priory was held on Sunday 8th October. Gifts were blessed for Foodbank4Whitby, and a special collection provided funds for Practical Action Power Ap …