The Closure of the Sneaton Castle Centre
The Sisters of the Order of the Holy Paraclete are to sell Sneaton Castle, Whitby, and the adjacent St Hilda’s Priory buildings to enable the future development and sustainability of the Order and its ongoing commitment to Whitby.
The site has been home to the Order of the Holy Paraclete since its foundation in 1915.
The decision entails the closure of the popular but loss-making Sneaton Castle Centre, a retreat and conference facility run by the Order since the 1990's following the closure of their girls’ boarding school on the site.
The 16 permanent Centre staff have been given maximum possible notice of the closure of the Centre in December 2018 so that a full consultation concerning their future can take place.
Any re-development of the present buildings will be subject to the usual publicly-accountable local authority planning provisions and will provide an enhanced asset for the town.
While closure of the Centre will mean less ministry to visiting individuals and groups, the new priory to be built in the grounds and already funded, will enable the Sisters to continue and develop community contacts within Whitby, share their expertise in elderly care, and welcome Tertiary members of the Order, alongsiders and guests to share its ministry and everyday life.
Sister Carole, Prioress of the Order, said "We are very sad to see the closure of the Centre and particularly the loss of our staff; we will offer them all the support we can as they look for new jobs. We firmly believe that these planned changes are inspired by the Holy Spirit, and will allow us to develop a viable and exciting ministry for the future."
Posted On: 23/07/2017